Sunday, May 3, 2009

Our Garden

In 2004 Gina created a sitting area with a swing and a few plants and bird feeders. In 2005 we decided we would expand it. Well we started tossing around ideas on what we wanted and we kind of had some things wrote down on paper. We decided our garden could wait so instead we spend the summer in Rockport, Texas having fun fishing and catching crabs. Also, if you remember 2005 was the year of hurricanes Katrina and Rita. We received damage from both of those storms and on October 1st I took a job in Houston. In January 2006 our oldest son caught our house on fire and did some major damage. We had planned on remodeling our house around 2010 but instead we decided that we should go ahead and do it now since there was no reason to just repair the fire damage and then remodel in four years so for the remainder of the year we worked on the house every weekend non- stop. Needless to say Gina’s garden didn’t happen. 2007 found me working down in Rockport, Texas again so this didn’t leave any time for us to start Gina’s garden. On September 16, 2007 our oldest son was killed in a accident. Gina and I decided that we both would quit working and spend some time at home together. About two weeks after the accident, the teachers that Gina worked with got together and gave Gina a fountain, bench, navy seal, and an angel with her finger over her mouth all made with concrete. We decided to get started on Gina’s garden one morning in October while sitting outside. We hired a man to build the two pergolas in November. In December we put the picket fence up around the garden and planted a red maple tree on our son’s birthday. In January I got the pond and stream completed the night before Gina’s birthday (it didn’t look pretty but it was a waterfall and a pond). In March we started on the plants and from there Gina has kept evolving it to what it has become today. The garden is so peaceful and a wonderful place to meditate and most of all it provides Gina with wonderful therapy. There is a lot more detail to this story but that’s the highlights. Gina & I have put all our love into this garden as a memorial for our Son, Rollie Joseph Thurston. I’ll just let the pictures speak for themselves.






The Beginning (January 2008)









































We hope you have enjoyed these pictures and everyone is welcome to come visit us and spend time here.


Until tomorrow, Gina & I hope everyone has a pleasant and wonderful day, enjoying what our Father has so graciously blessed us with.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful memorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very beautiful! Great job you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love it.... I hope we can get to visit someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful! Very tranquil. You have certainly done a great job. I hope we get to see it some day....

    ReplyDelete