Wow, it’s been a busy month back in Louisiana. Gina and I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and A Happy New Year. We pray that Gods blessings will be bestowed upon you and your family during 2010.
I would like to thank all of our blog followers for the emails inquiring about our status and wanting to make sure we were both alright. I would have written something sooner. However, I was consumed with our solar electrical installation beginning from early morning to it getting dark every day. The first two weeks I had to work around the rain and the final three weeks I had to work around the extreme cold in Louisiana. Gina and I are both doing fine and yes, we are finally back on the road enjoying all the rain in southern California. Now that we are finally settling down I decided that I would try to bring everyone up to date. Instead of one really long entry I decided that I would catch you all up over the next few days. It will be mostly pictures just to give you a glimpse of what we have been up to last month.
Here's a picture of the finished project.
(I will do a separate entry on our electrical system)
Solar Panels mounted on top of the truck in the raised position
Gina and I with Brandi
Gina and I attended Brandi's commencment ceremony as she was awarded her BA in Education from South Eastern Louisiana University. Brandi was our oldest son's girlfriend and will always have a special place in our hearts. She will forever be a part of our family. We love her very much and are extremely proud of her.
Later that evening Gina and I, along with Nicole and Shane attended a graduation party for Brandi.
Brandi and Gina
Brandi was hired to teach at Denham Springs High School. She gave me and Gina a tour of her new classroom. Brandi and Gina minds were tossing around ideas for decorating her classroom.
After Brandi and Gina had spent several days up at the high school her classroom was finally done. Gina really enjoyed the special time helping Brandi prepare her classroom for her students. She is going to be an outstanding teacher!!!
Ashley and Parker along with their dogs Jada & Sophia flew home from Grenada. They both finished another semester of medical school and we were thankful that they were able to be home with us for the holidays. In celebration for Parker's birthday, Gina made homemade lasagna and made a brownie birthday cake.
Thomas flew home from 29 Palms, California December 19th and will have to report back on January 3, 2010. Now that all of our children are home it's time for making memories with our family.
Gina with our daughters Ashley Jenkins and Nicole Young. Then Wanda Jenkins with her daughters Paige Seals and Paiton Achord. They had a girl's day planned. First it was breakfast at a restaurant named the "Broken Egg" then they all went and got their hands and feet pampered by getting manicures and pedicures. They all had a fun and relaxing day.
Here I am playing Santa Claus. Gina thought it would be a nice idea since I had grown a beard during the month of November. Really I was just tired of shaving for awhile.
We gathered at my brother-in-law and sister’s house for our traditional family Christmas get together. It was especially nice this year with seven great grandchildren. We all had a great time and I really enjoyed playing Santa. I’m not sure who had more fun, the kids or the adults laughing at me.
Here is Ashley with her cousin Stephen. They are the same age and have always been real close. In reality they are more like brother and sister than cousins.
Thomas telling Uncle Rickey what it’s like to be a Marine and what it’s like being stationed in Twenty-nine Palms, California.
Ashley making up for lost time visiting with Aunt Dana.
Nicole and Shane holding my niece’s newest baby, Danny Lopez
As they say all good things must come to an end. It was nice not shaving for six weeks but I was really getting tired of the beard. Ashley had asked me when she got home if she could shave my beard before she left and I said ok. It was one of her Christmas wishes.
Not only did she shave my beard but she got carried away and included shaving my mustache too. I told her that since she got to shave my mustache too then she would have cut my hair too. Here is the finished look. Gina said that I look 15 years younger. What do you think???
Thomas sitting in front of the fireplace Christmas morning trying to wake up and get warm before opening presents.
Nicole and Shane opening presents and Nicole showing off her new coat.
Ashley and Parker along with Sophie having fun opening their presents.
Thomas admiring his new ostrich boots with Angel being content laying in his lap.
Ashley and Nicole posing with Santa
OH, it’s Dad not Santa
Christmas morning after we exchanged gifts with our children we all loaded up in the truck. Now picture me as Santa driving my truck around town Christmas morning. Everyone on the road either waved or blew their horns. As we drove into the Seals subdivision children would be out playing with their new toys and then they would see me (Santa). They would either have shocked looks on their faces or they would run to get their parents.
After driving through the subdivision we finally arrived at Josh & Paige Seals home. It’s a Seals tradition for Josh to make homemade waffles for everyone on Christmas morning. Gina had prearranged our Santa visit. So for the next few hours I greeted the neighborhood children with candy canes and posed for pictures.
We were all having so much fun so we stopped by Shane’s parent’s home for a visit. Dave and Chris Young are proud grandparents of Evangeline Young. Her parents are Judy and Brandon Young, Shane’s oldest brother. I posed for pictures with Evangeline who is nine months old. Gina and I enjoyed catching up with everyone and talking to Jessica and Cato about RVing. They are living fulltime in a fifth wheel while they work.
It was such a joyful morning visiting with family and friends. We all had so much fun with me as Santa that we decided to make this our new family tradition. Next year Gina will join me as Mrs. Claus. Our day was definitely filled with memorable moments that we’ll always treasure.
Well this about sums it up for the month of December. Just to bring everyone up to date. We are camping at Lake Oneill, located on Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base which is between Los Angeles and San Diego, California. Thomas is only working about 20 minutes away from us so he has a buddy drop him off in the evening. I think he comes here every evening just to see what mom has cooked for him. I think Gina is spoiling him by cooking all of his favorite meals. Plus it’s been an extra treat that he gets to spend the night with us.
Gina & I hope everyone has a pleasant and wonderful day, enjoying what our Father has so graciously blessed us with.
Gina & I hope everyone has a pleasant and wonderful day, enjoying what our Father has so graciously blessed us with.

Glad to see you back on the blogosphere-
ReplyDeleteI remember fishing at Lake O'Neil as a youngster when we were stationed at Pendleton in 54-58, and again in 60-62. It's a beautiful setting for the Naval Hospital. I think I mentioned my mom still lives in Carlsbad.
Looks like a fancy solar set up- bet you are looking foward to living off the grid- Must have been talking to Howard Payne!!!!
Travel safely- JimBob
the picture of Ashley and Nicole tugging on your Santa beard CRACKS ME UP!! haha.. so glad to see the blog updated!! Love you both very much!! -- Brandi
ReplyDeleteRollie and Gina, it's good to have you back! I've missed reading your blog. Thanks for getting us caught up. Looks like you had a great Christmas. We're finally on the road and living the good life down in FL right now.
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear from you guys again.. Looks like a very special Christmas you had with family..
ReplyDeleteCamp Pendleton, hmm, we shall have to get there one of these days. I'm sure Kevin would love camping there surrounded by Marines!