Monday, November 8, 2010

A Much Needed Dose of Nature

We know that it’s been over a week since our last post and we last said that we were moving to a location that allowed us to boondock for a couple of weeks. We planned on moving Monday morning but we didn’t get moved until Tuesday morning.

In an effort to catch everyone up we’re boondocking (no hookups) at a U.S. Forest Service Recreation Area named “The Land Between the Lakes”. It’s the only Recreation Area in the U.S. maintained by the US Forest Service. They do have full hookup campgrounds here. However, Gina and I wanted a little dose of nature and the possibility of watching Bald Eagles. We found a really nice location tucked back in the woods that overlook a small bay of water. It’s absolutely beautiful!

Me telling my dad goodbye, I had wonderful time camping with him


Our Campsite

This is our view

Another view across the bay

Gina is loving all the Fall colors

We have a system, Gina collects firewood while I cook

We're getting real proficient cooking over a campfire
A special thanks to Pop's for the Rack

I can even make coffee over a campfire, look at that firewood Gina has collected
Thanks to Uncle Jerry for the new coffee pot

Gina just cannot get enough of these colorful leaves

She even takes close up shots

A few White Pelicans

A woodpecker picking an acorn off a branch

Since we got here we have done a lot of hiking and relaxing trying to soak up the scenery around us. One of the highlights this week was on Saturday we hiked two and half miles up to the Nature Station for their Fall Frolic. We were able to see some of the wild animals they have rescued due to being orphaned or injured. As a result they are not able to survive in the wild. This area has so much to see and do that Gina and I both highly recommend stopping for a day or two. Check out the link above for more information.

Bald Eagle

Wild Turkey

Barn Owl

Red Tail Hawk

Great Horned Owl

A Fallow Deer

I guess Mom & Pop said it best in their blog, “We’re just kicking back and enjoying some down time. Of course it doesn't hurt when you're in God's backyard surrounded by all of his amazing creations.

Our first Bald Eagle sighting here in Kentucky
They have graced us with their fly byes everyday

We appreciate everyone stopping by and following our adventures.  We should be back to regular posting and I'm sure there will be a more of them if you like Bald Eagles as much as we do.   


Gina & I hope everyone has a pleasant and wonderful day, enjoying what our Father has so graciously blessed us with.

5 comments:

  1. So...you coming home now? : ) I'll let you guess who this is : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place! We'll have to get all the details from you, sounds like a place we would enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have missed you guys! And who stole my idea?? I was going to buy you guys a percolator so Rollie wouldn't have to watch the coffee maker drain his amps! Truly do miss you both, can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place...thanks for sharing it with us. This is a place to definitely put on the "to experience" list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We live about 35 miles from LBL and camp at Hillman Ferry several times each summer. We love being this close to Kentucky Lake. I've been trying to figure out where you are staying, but we don't boondock, so I guess we'll be satisfied with Hillman Ferry and Piney on the south end of LBL. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing your blog. We really enjoy your travels and make note of places that we would like add to our travel list.

    B Hart

    ReplyDelete