I took Mike through all the back roads and past Houmas House Plantation for a drive by viewing. Then we drove down River Road toward the Sunshine Bridge and crossed over the Mississippi River. We arrived at Oak Alley Plantation and the Live Oak trees are still as breathtaking as they were the first time I saw them. If you are ever down this way this is a must see.
Mike standing in front of the alley of Live Oaks
The view from the house looking toward the Mississippi River
Mike looking across the mighty Mississippi River
After we took a tour of the home we walked up on the levee of the Mississippi River. We then continued our journey heading south and did another drive by viewing of Laura Plantation before we crossed back over the Mississippi River. We then went through Lutcher and Gramercy where on Christmas Eve they light hundreds of bon fires on the Mississippi River Levee directing Papa Noel to all the Cajun children. The structures were not standing but you could still see the remnants of the fires. We then drove past Manresa House in Convent, Louisiana. It was dusk by this time so we started making our way back home taking more back roads. The main sights along the way are all the houses and camps located along the Diversion Canal and Amite River in the southern part of Livingston parish. Once we made it back home we waited for the girls to arrive to eat a dinner of leftovers.
We had a wonderful day and I really had a great time showing Mike all the sights near our house. Gina said she had a great time with Janna and our daughters.
Gina & I hope everyone has a pleasant and wonderful day, enjoying what our Father has so graciously blessed us with.

Hi Kids....sounds like you had a wonderful day. There is nothing as beautiful as those old "Southern Plantations" and the big,old beautiful Oak trees. Having been raised in the South, I was surrounded by both.
ReplyDeleteI know Gina, Janna and the girls had fun shopping because I know for a fact Gina is a "good" shopper....especially when she's spending "my" money.:-) That's OK...I can't wait for her to get here and help me spend a little more.
We love you both.....Mom (and Pops)
We've seen a few plantations down there years ago, and want to see some more. Maybe we'll stop by your place for a grand tour! Thanks for sharing your home state!
ReplyDeleteI just love those plantations...the history, the beauty, and the romance. We saw and toured several while there last winter. We really enjoyed our stay and plan to go back one day soon. Your photos brought back the memories.
ReplyDelete