Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Birthday America


A view looking over the Black Hills of South Dakota

Saturday morning found us back hiking in Custer State Park. We did the same hike as yesterday and the views were just as beautiful. It was a little easier today. Mom says she is getting us ready for some more intense hikes. Gina thinks that’s a good idea since she is feeling a little under the weather due to the pollen in the air. On our way home we stopped at a garage sale. Mom picked up a lamp and I bought a brand new ice cream maker. Pop’s commented that they’re furnishing their apartment before it’s built. We all just laughed. Afterwards we decided to attend the “The Old Time County Fair” being held this weekend in Custer.


The frontside of the 1881 Courthouse Museum

We walked around to all of the booths but didn’t come home with anything. Once we got back home it was time for a nice long four wheeler ride through the mountains.


Mike and Pat with a beautiful backdrop


Gina searching for that first rock, LOL


She's still searching, she said it has to be real special for it to be the first


Mom and I standing behind our four wheelers






Pop's found a geocache on top of the mountain


Pop's blowing bubbles from the cache




The views were breathtaking and Gina and I had a great time

We woke up this morning with beautiful skies and a cool 52 degrees. This sure beats Louisiana’s 95 degrees with 80% humidity. We are heading to church and then this afternoon we’re having a cookout to celebrate America’s Independence Day and then tonight we'll watch fireworks.

Please remember all our young men and women who are serving and have served and especially those that paid the ultimate sacrifice of their life for this country. It is only because of these soldiers, sailors, marines and airman that we are able to celebrate 234 years of FREEDOM. I will end with this poem I found called Veterans.

When we gather around our flag,
our heart beneath our hand.
a prayer should be on our lips
for the veterans who took a stand.
On the ramparts of Fort McHenry,
the bloody battlefields of ol’ Bull Run,
atop of San Juan Hill,
the muddy trenches of World War I,
They stood on the decks of destroyers,
hunting the U-boats down.
The wards of a dim lit hospital,
where weary nurses are found.
They rushed the beaches of Normandy,
flew bombers over Japan,
defended South Korea,
walked the jungles of Vietnam,
They were forced to crouch in cages,
their hands were bound with rope,
still they honored God and Country,
and filled our hearts with hope.
They scorched across the desert sands,
in Black Hawks on patrol.
They served this Nation proudly,
on the doomed USS Cole.
Our freedom is not our birthright,
and courage knows no gender.
Our freedom is bought by veterans,
who stand instead of surrender.
Written by Edward Jack Smith

With that Gina and I wish everyone a Safe and Happy Fourth of July.

Happy Birthday America!!!!!

Gina & I hope everyone has a pleasant and wonderful day, enjoying what our Father has so graciously blessed us with.

3 comments:

  1. Amen!! The poem you included says it all. Happy Fourth of July!!

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
    http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Blog,,,,,I especially enjoyed your subjects! LOL!

    ReplyDelete